This post is also available in: English Français
Since we are in quarantine, I have tried to create sweet treat that will satisfy our cravings while benefiting our health too and this Vegan & Sugar-Free Brownie will do just that!
Dates and Sweet Potatoes are the main ingredients in this Vegan & Sugar-Free Brownie. They both bring some natural sweetness into the recipe which means that there is no need to add any sugar or syrup.
The Benefits of eating Dates
Anyone wanting to reduce their sugar intake will probably consider dates as a bit of a miracle. Dates allow you to satisfy your sugar craving while being so good for you. Full of fibre, helping you to fill full longer and to keep blood sugar levels under control, they are also a good source of antioxidants. Fun fact: dates have shown to promote labour in pregnant women! Source.
The Benefits of eating Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are rich in fibres which helps in preventing constipation. They are a great source of vitamin A, C & vitamin B6, as well as manganese and beta-carotene. They are so versatile and are a great addition to desserts thanks to their natural sweetness.
This brownie feels extremely rich and gooey. With less than 10 ingredients it has quickly become a staple recipe in my household.
A Sugar Free Brownie !!!
The absence of flour and sugar makes this cake very low in carbohydrates which is great as I have to have more than 2 servings each time!
This recipe is made with almond powder (or meal) but you can use other nuts such as finely ground hazelnuts. This would give a Nutella kind of taste to your brownie.
Do you want more delicious & nutritious recipes?
Here is another recipe that will make you feel good while being good for you too, an easy to make and only 3 ingredients Blueberry Cookies.
Vegan & Sugar-Free Brownie
Dates and Sweet Potatoes are the main ingredients in this Vegan & Sugar-Free Brownie. Both bringing some natural sweetness into the recipe.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (600 gr)
- 12 Medjoul dates (soaked in water for 10 minutes)
- 6 tbsp. cold water (from the dates)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp. cacao powder
- 70 gr almond meal (powder)
- 60 gr finely ground oats
- ½ tsp. salt
- Preheat your oven to 180 °C. Line a 20 cm square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and chop into 3 cm chunks. Put the sweet potato cubes into a saucepan of water. Cover and bring to the boil, then leave to simmer for 10 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Drain the water, then mash the sweet potatoes. Leave aside.
- Remove the Medjoul dates from the water.
- Blend the dates until it becomes a paste in a food processor or a blender.
- Add 6 tbsp. of the water (from the dates) and keep blending.
- Next, add the sweet potato puree, the vanilla and cacao powder. Blend until all is well combined.
- In a large bowl mix together the almond powder, ground oats, and salt.
- Transfer the sweet potato and dates paste into the dry ingredients and stir until all mixed together.
- Transfer into a square pan and bakes for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool completely.
- Sprinkle some cacao powder on the top if desired. Cut into squares and serve.
I hope you try and like this Vegan & Sugar-Free Brownie if so let me know! Share on Pinterest and tag a photo on Instagram #mimies_delicacies so that I can see your lovely creations as well as helping me reach more of you lovely people. Merci my friends!
Leave a Reply