This post is also available in: English Français
It seems that chocolate pairs with every single fruit, and this Pear & Chocolate Vegan Cake is no exception! I love the fluffiness of this gluten-free cake and the wonderful flavours of the chocolate and pear together.
If you are not a fan of pear or simply don’t have any nearby, why don’t you swap for an apple instead? As I said previously, every single fruit pairs wonderfully with chocolate.
Which Cacao Powder should you use?
They are two types of cacao powder:
- Natural cacao powder (non-alcalized)
- Dutch-processed cocoa powder (alcalized)
In this Pear & Chocolate Vegan Cake I have used Dutch-processed cocoa powder which is darker in colour and is less acidic compared to natural cacao powder, making your bakes taste even more chocolatey.
Dutch Cocoa Powder
Commonly found in supermarkets, it is made from cacao beans that have been washed to neutralise their acidity. This cocoa is less acidic, deep in flavour and darker in colour as a result of this process (make sure there isn’t any added sugar and that it is pure cocoa). In order for your cakes to be gorgeous and fluffy you will need to be using baking powder as a leavening agent when using Dutch processed cocoa powder
Natural Cacao Powder
As the name suggests, natural cacao powder is less processed and more natural. It is lighter in colour and is the product of finely ground roasted cacao beans. Hence, the flavour being stronger, bitter, but also fruitier with a lot of interesting nuances. In a recipe such as this Pear & Chocolate Vegan Cake if using natural cacao powder you will need to pair it with bicarbonate of soda which is alkaline and will neutralise the natural acidity of the cacao powder. Make sure to use a good brand such as Naturya.
Dutch Cocoa Powder = baking powder
Natural Cacao Powder = bicarbonate of soda
Are you a fan of chocolate ? Why don’t try these recipes full of vegan chocolate goodness 🙂
Pear & Chocolate Vegan Cake
I love the fluffiness of this gluten-free cake and the wonderful flavours of the chocolate and pear together.
- 1 pear
- 3 tbsp. ground flaxseeds soaked into 6 tbsp. of cold water.
- 230 gr gluten-free flour ( or plain wheat flour)
- 1 heaped tsp. baking powder
- 30 gr Dutch processed cacao powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 150 gr unrefined cane sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 300 gr soya yoghurt
- 60 gr rapeseed oil
- Grease your loaf pan and preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Peel and thinly slice the pear vertically for longer slices, leave aside for now.
- In a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients.
- Next, add the wet ingredients along with the flaxseeds to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer 1/3 of the batter into your loaf pan, then place some slices of pear over it.
- Repeat by alternating between batter and pear in order to create different layers.
- Pop into the oven between 40 to 45 minutes.
I hope you try and like this Pear & Chocolate Vegan Cake, if so let me know! Share on Pinterest and tag a photo on Instagram #mimies_delicacies so that I can see your lovely creations as well as helping me reach more of you lovely people. Merci my friends!
Leave a Reply