This post is also available in: English Français
Cheesecake and Tiramisu are my two favourite desserts. They represent everything I love in a dessert; especially the cheesecake with its crunchy base and creamy filling. Do you know what I love the most though? All the different ways in which you can enjoy a cheesecake, it can be baked or raw, it can be made with vanilla, berries and even caramelised banana (my other favourite cheesecake). Today I have chosen to combine it with my beloved peanut butter for a decadent Vegan Peanut Butter Cheesecake.
I have 2 brands I really love when it comes to Peanut Butter which are Mani Life (link below) and Yumello, they are slightly darker in colour and have a more intense peanuts’ flavour.ManiLife Peanut Butter – All Natural, Single Origin, No Added Sugar, No Palm Oil – Deep Roast Crunchy – (1 x 1kg)
Homemade Peanut Butter
Why not try to make your own peanut butter? It will surely be a lot cheaper; peanuts are usually a cheap ingredient compared to other nuts (fyi: peanut is not a nut!).
Preheat your oven to 180° C. Spread your peanuts on a baking tray and roast for about 6 minutes, stirring often so that they roast evenly.
In a food processor, blend the peanuts with ½ tsp. of salt. Scrape down the food processor every 2 minutes and blend until you get a smooth paste or butter. The process should take around 8 to 10 minutes.
If you wish you can add a tbsp. of maple syrup and more salt. I like mine plain with sea salt.
As in my previous cheesecake recipe I would like to mention again the use of agar agar in this recipe:
Some of you may feel a little put off by recipes using agar agar powder and I understand because I didn’t know what it was. Let me explain very briefly what agar agar is and what it does so that you can feel confident in using it to make delicious cheesecakes.
Agar agar comes from seaweeds, 100 % natural it is a great vegetarian substitute to the gelatine often use in traditional recipes. Agar agar is often used in vegan jelly, marmalade, ice cream, custard, etc. It helps to stabilize and thicken the filling.
A little goes a long way! In this Vegan Peanut Butter Cheesecake I have only used ½ tsp of agar agar.
You can find it on Amazon:yourhealthstore Premium Gluten Free Agar Agar Powder 100g, Vegan Gelatine, European, Non GMO
Vegan Peanut Butter Cheesecake
This cheesecake will charm you with its crunchy base and creamy filling. Use any nut butter you love!
For the Base:
- 65 gr dates (Medjool dates are best)
- 70 gr walnuts
- 70 gr oats
- 70 gr peanut butter
- ½ tsp. salt
For the filling:
- 200 gr cashew nuts
- 400 gr coconut milk (in a can)
- 2 tbsp. peanut butter
- 80 gr maple syrup (or syrup of your choice)
- 1/3 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. cornflour
- 1/2 tsp agar agar powder
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- I use a 22cm (9in) cake tin with a removable base.
- Before you start the recipe: place the cashew nuts in a bowl filled with water and leave for 4 hours minimum (overnight is best).
- For the base:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease the bottom of your cake pan.
- Sliced the dates into small chunks (if too dry leave them in a bowl of hot water for 10 minutes) and blend until you get a paste. Transfer into a bowl.
- Place the walnuts in your food processor and blend until finely ground.
- Next, add the oats, peanut butter ,dates, salt and mix until it becomes sticky.
- Press into a 22cm (9in) cake tin and bake for 15 minutes.
- Once baked, leave out of the oven on a wire rack, do not remove from the cake tin.
- For the filling:
- Drain the cashew nuts and place them in a food processor with all other ingredients for the filling. Blend until it has reached a smooth consistency.
- Transfer into a sauce pan. Bring to a boil while stirring from time to time. When it has reached a boiling point, turn down the heat and stir for another minute.
- Pour the filling over the base.
- Once the filling has cooled down, place in the fridge for 4 to 6 hours until fully set.
I hope you try and like this Vegan Peanut Butter Cheesecake, if so let me know! Share on Pinterest and tag a photo on Instagram #mimies_delicacies so that I can see your lovely creations as well as helping me reach more of you lovely people. Merci my friends!
Poivre et Cannelle
It looks so yummy ! I love anything with peanut butter ^^
Me too it’s such a great addition to this cheesecake 🙂